Have a Question? Email me at nestyourbestblog@gmail.com I'd love to hear from you!

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Healthy Eats - Step 1 to a Better Me!

Ah, the New Year.  Nothing fills up the gym and makes a run on spinach at the grocery like a brand new year.

I'm usually a pretty healthy eater and I'm sort of a gym rat as well.  However, this year I've made some lofty goals for myself, which stem around streamlining my diet even more and getting out of my comfort zone at the gym.

I've always been the kind of person who can pretty much eat what I like (within reason) with no repercussions.  Well, ever since Little Man took his toll, this is not the case.  Don't get me wrong.  I lost more than 50 pounds after I had him, but things just settled a little differently than before.   And I don't want to wait until I "have time" when Little is in school full-time.

I'm hoping that making this a blog post will help hold me accountable when the holiday M & M's start talking.  Does that happen to anyone else? They're just so cute in Easter colors!

I've started the new year with a goal to not follow a specific diet, but just to make wise choice on a daily basis, with an occasional splurge.

If you're like me, you love hearing what healthy choices others make.  It gives me inspiration to keep going and some new food ideas. Here's what I've been doing for my daily eats:

  • Breakfast - 1/2 cup steel cut oatmeal, pinch of brown sugar, teaspoon of real maple syrup, 1/8 cup slivered almonds; 4 oz of oj (I have to have this in the morning, it's like my coffee!)
                               
  • Mid- Morning Snack - this is generally a Clif Mojo Protein Bar after the gym (have you ever tried one of these?  They are delish!  Perfect combo of salty with a bit of sweet)
                                   
  • Lunch - Mixed greens with Craisins, mandarin oranges, slivered almonds, and tuna or grilled chicken with lite raspberry vinaigrette   Sometimes, I have half a sandwich thin with a little peanut butter, especially on days I have 2 tennis practices!
                            
  • Early Afternoon Snack - light mozzarella cheesestick, a few Wheat Thins, coffee
                               
  • Late Afternoon Snack - cut veggies and hummus (my little guy has to have a snack before I make dinner, so I have a few veggies with him) 
                       
  • Dinner - I love to cook, so I just make whatever I've planned for the boys and make sure to take a reasonable portion and lots of salad and veggies.
  • After Dinner - this is usually where I undo all my good work!  My Mister is tall as can be and built very lean.  He can eat whatever he wants and it drives me nutty! He has a bowl of cereal every night and it's hard not to join in.  To fight this peer pressure, I cut up an apple and eat it with a tablespoon of peanut butter.
What do you eat?  I'd love some ideas and suggestions because I know I'll get tired of this soon!  Is anyone else on a mission to tighten up and lean out a little bit before shorts season?

Look at me.  Book reviews, a DIY project, and diet tips all within a week.  What is happening over here!? This blog really is a true glimpse into my life these days!

Tomorrow, I've got my cute little gold coffee mugs to share.  I'm beyond excited about how they turned out. They are cooling in the oven as we speak...

Till next time!

XO,
  Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts