Have a Question? Email me at nestyourbestblog@gmail.com I'd love to hear from you!

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Cookie Swap!

Erika, one of my girls from my teacher days, hosted a sweet cookie swap party for our little ones.  She went all out with tree decorating for the little ones and yummy soups for the mommas.  I wish I had some pics to share of the actual party, but my battery died and I didn't get it charged in time.  Sigh.

Alas, I do have some pics of our contribution to the cookie swap.  This year I whipped up some ginger snaps and Dark Chocolate Almond Macaroons (these little guys taste just like an Almond Joy!).



The recipe for the macaroons came from Southern Living Christmas:

3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 14 oz package sweetened flaked coconut
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/8 tsp salt
24 unblanched almonds
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Stir together first 4 ingredients.  Drop dough by lightly greased tablespoonfuls onto parchement lined pans.  Press an almond into the top of each cookie.  Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Let cool on wire racks.  Melt chocolate chips in the microwave for about 1 minute and 15 seconds.  Stir every 30 seconds.  Put the melted chocolate into a freezer bag and cut the corner off of one end.  Drizzle chocolate over each cookie.  Let harden.




The ginger snaps are from a magazine clipping (I think it was BH&G?)

Ginger Sugar
3 T sugar
3/4 t ground ginger

Cookies
1 stick unsalted butter at room temp
3/4 c plus 2 T sugar
1 large egg at room temp
3 T dark molasses
2 C flour
1 T ground ginger
1 1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t salt

To make the ginger sugar, combine ingredients on a plate.

Place butter and sugar in mixer and blend well.  Add egg and blend.  Add molasses and blend well.  Combine flour, ginger, soda, cinnamon, and salt in a separate bowl.  Add to butter mixture and mix well.  Break off small pieces of dough and roll into a ball.  Roll in ginger sugar and place 2 inches apart on parchment lined sheets.  Bake at 350 for 12 minutes.  Cool on wire racks.



What makes these ginger snaps snap back is the ginger sugar you roll them in just before baking.  Zing!




I love a pretty presentation!





Mouth watering yet? ;)




My gals brought some delicious offerings to the party as well.  Nutella cookies, peanut butter blossoms, praline squares, oatmeal cherry cookies, white chocolate gingerbread bars...

Guess who will be at the gym everyday this week...

Erika gave us each a cute little bag and we filled it up with yummies to share at home.  I did share, but there may or may not have been less cookies in the bag when Mister got home.  Just sayin'.

What's your go-to cookie recipe for Christmas?

XO,
  Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts