Have a Question? Email me at nestyourbestblog@gmail.com I'd love to hear from you!

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Pumpkin Praline Cake...Yep

Mmmmm.  Are you salivating just from the title?  You should be.  This cake is ah-mazing.  It's a pumpkin flavored cake with a praline "crust" and whipped cream frosting.  Definitely not something you would want to eat everyday, but the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving dessert table.  Bring this along and steal the show!  Move over turkey!

(It should be noted that the writing of this post was interrupted by a loud sound from my son's room, which turned out to be him throwing a dog bone at his wall to "keep it away" from Winnie.  There is a dent.  I am not happy.  There.  I had to get it out.)


Now, this recipe is started with a box mix, which I usually NEVER use, however, I found this recipe on Pinterest and followed it from the Betty Crocker site.  Next time, I will probably use my own yellow cake recipe instead of a box, but if you like the simplicity of a box, it turns out great!

Here's what you need to get started:

  1/2     cup butter

1/4    cup whipping cream
1       cup packed brown sugar
3/4    cup coarsely chopped pecans
1       box yellow cake mix
1       cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
1/2    cup water
1/3    cup vegetable oil
4       eggs
1 1/2  teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (I made my own mix of cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice)






Preheat the oven to 325.  Melt the butter, whipping cream, and brown sugar in a saucepan over low heat.  When the butter is melted, pour into 2 ungreased 9 inch round cake pans and sprinkle with pecans.  This will form a cool praline crust on the top of each layer.







Next, beat cake mix, pumpkin, water, oil, eggs, and 1 tsp of pie spice with a mixer on low, just until moistened.  Then, mix on medium for 2 minutes.  Spoon batter into the pans, over the pecan layer.  I prefer to beat with my hand mixer versus my stand mixer so I have more control.





Bake for 41-47 minutes and let cool 5 minutes.  Transfer from pans to a cooling rack.  You have to let them cool completely before you add the frosting, about 1 hour.

Meanwhile, whip up some frosting.  Don't you dare use a grocery store tub!  This is just too easy and so much better.  Not to mention, you know exactly what is in it.  Here's the recipe I used.  Betty Crocker says to add the remaining pie spice to the frosting, however, I left this part out.  I wanted each part (the cake and the icing) to stand alone.

You'll need:

4 oz softened cream cheese
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup whipping cream

Beat it all together until soft peaks form.  Don't over beat.






Spread one cake (praline side up) with the frosting.  Place the other layer on top (praline side up) and use the remaining frosting to cover the top.  You may have a little extra.  Lick the bowl!  It's so good!  Garnish with a few chopped pecans.




The frosting will ooze out the sides a little, but I think it makes for an intriguing display.  Don't you just want to run your finger along the edge?




It truly is out of this world. I recently brought this to a potluck and I was asked for the recipe before they even tasted it.




And one more shot for inspiration while your oven's preheating ;).




What are you having for Thanksgiving dessert?  Do you like to keep it traditional or throw in a new recipe?

Tomorrow I'll be showing another snapshot of the s-l-o-w progress in the guest room.  We'll get there someday!

XO,
  Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts