Have a Question? Email me at nestyourbestblog@gmail.com I'd love to hear from you!

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Stockpile Pantry Part 1 - The Tough Questions

In yesterday's post I slipped about my stockpile pantry project.  Yes, I have a stockpile because, yes, I coupon.  And no, I'm not a hoarder or one of those people who buys 138 deodorants!

I started couponing after we made the decision that I would stop teaching to stay home with our son.  I quickly learned the tips and tricks (I'll put those in another post ;) ) and discovered the best way to save money on groceries is to buy things when they are at their cheapest.  That means, buying enough to get my family through until that item goes on sale again.

Jackpot!  I was regularly saving 70, 75, 80% at the grocery store, but then I ran into a problem.  Where do you put the 8 jars of spaghetti sauce when your kitchen pantry is T-iny!?!  So, we bought a metal storage rack from my happy place (Target), set it up in the basement, and things were dandy.  Until they weren't.



Combine my rotating stockpile of pasta, soup, cereals,etc, with the warehouse packages of tp and paper towel and you run into trouble!  And no space.  I also found I wasn't seeing everything I had, which makes waste, which totally defeats the purpose of couponing.  So back to Tarjeh (as my mom calls it) for another rack.  Infinite space!


Now, instead of just sticking everything back on a shelf I want to make sure it is highly functional for how we will use it.  Any of you organzing gurus out there know that when you tackle a new space you have to ask yourself a few questions:

  1. How will I/we use the space?
  2. How will the space grow to accomodate future incoming/transitional items?
  3. What tools do I already have to make this space functional?
  4. What tools do I need to get to get the most out of this space?

So that is where I am in the pantry process.  It is totally against my nature to share unfinished things, but you saw my first post.  I'm embracing the imperfection and using this blog as a way to organize my thoughts and ideas and also practice letting go of the unattainable "perfect".

I'll be sure to update with my next phase soon because I can't live with jelly jars on the floor forever! 

Anyone have a stockpile pantry at home?  Any good ideas on how to store things on a wire rack?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts