Remember how I've been working on a new art display board for the playroom? I showed you how I beat up some wood to distress it here.
The next thing I did was hot glue clothespins onto the wood. I took a piece of my son't art to space out the clips evenly along the wood.
After letting the clips dry, the next step was to stain the whole thing. I chose Minwax classic gray.
I originally thought I'd go with espresso, but when I added the chalkboard, I knew I needed to match the gray frame.
I added one coat of the stain and let it dry in the garage for several days. I did not sand or prime the wood. Remember, I was going for rustic.
It didn't have quite the same brown/gray feel I wanted yet, so I used a rag and some Old English to enrich the color.
I didn't take pictures of this process because my hands were a mess for the staining and the Old English. Just follow the directions on the can of stain and the Old English.
After Mister helped me hang it (in studs of course), here's what we had.
Not. Too. Shabby. Well, rustic shabby.
I have to say, I am pretty darn proud of how close I got the chalkboard frame and the art boards to match. Yay!
This is a project we will really put to good use.
Okay. Another cross off on the list. That feels great!
Guess it time to address those walls...